Fisherman Casts Into a New Spot
“Flawed,” a first novel by Laguna Beach resident Michael Fowlkes, blends romance into an action-adventure story.
His extensive experience as an owner-operator boat captain from Alaska to Australia over the past 40 years provided the personal experience, framework and background for the novel. The book evokes the waterfront settings of Seattle and San Diego and the beaches off Cabo San Lucas in a voyage of loss and redemption.
Fowlkes, writer-director of the award-winning Fox Sports “Inside Sportfishing” television series, has lived and worked in Laguna Beach since 1970.
Military Wife’s Memoir Reveals Fighter Pilot’s Life
“Wing Wife: How To Be Married to a Marine Fighter Pilot,” by Laguna’s Marcia Sargent, brings the reader into the bawdy, comic and tragic world of the military aviator and spouse.
Sargent, a Marine fighter pilot’s wife from 1975 until 1987 who moved six times in 12 years with her military husband and their children, will sign her book at Camp Pendleton Officer’s Club from 5 to 7 p.m., Dec. 11. She plans a local signing next month at Laguna Beach Books.
“Wing Wife” shows there are two sides to being married to a fighter pilot; one embodies laughter, love and camaraderie, while the other offers risk, estrangement and death.
Taking Exercise Performance to New Heights
Fitness expert and Laguna Beach resident Jay Blahnik offers step-by-step tips for increasing flexibility, mobility, and strength in the upcoming new edition of “Full-Body Flexibility” (Human Kinetics, 2011).
Many athletes and fitness buffs include stretching in their workouts, but few effectively stretch to improve performance and reduce injuries, according to Blahnik. “People know how important stretching is, but most don’t do it as much as they should,” he said. “And they often rely on a few old-fashioned stretches learned as kids from teachers or coaches.” His three-step stretch system provides a framework about how to select stretches, how long to organize multiple stretches into routines, and how to avoid going too far or too little, he said.
For more info: visit www.HumanKinetics.com or call 800-747-4457.
Tunes & Tomes
Top sales/rentals for the week ending Dec. 5:
1264 S. Coast Highway
Top 10 Bestsellers
1. Elton John & Leon Russell, The Union
2. Susan Boyle, The Gift
3. Bruce Springsteen, The Promise
4. Bob Dylan, Christmas in the Heart
5. Black Eyed Peas, The Beginning
6. Kanye West, Beautiful Fantasy
7. My Chemical Romance, Danger Days
8. Duffy, Endlessly
9. Doors, Live in Vancouver 1970
10. Jackie Evancho, O Holy Night
LAGUNA BEACH BOOKS
The Old Pottery Place, 1200 S. Coast Highway
Top 10 Bestsellers
1. The Marriage Artist by Andrew Winer
2. Mary Ann in Autumn by Armistead Maupin
3. Life by Keith Richards
4. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
5. Hygiene and the Assassin by Amelie Nothomb
6. The Companion by Lorcan Roche
7. Family Man by Elinore Lipman
8. Asta in the Wings by Jan Elizabethe Watson
9. Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
10. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
LATITUDE 33 BOOKSHOP
311 Ocean Avenue
Top 10 Bestsellers – Fiction and Nonfiction
1. Glaedelia Jul by Dagmarette Yen
2. Special Exits by Joyce Farmer
3. Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama
4. Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle
5. An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
6. The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey
7. Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson
8. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
9. The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddartha Mukherjee
10. Spilling the Beans on the Cat’s Pajamas by Judy Parkinson
BARNABY RUDGE VIDEOS
1445 Glenneyre Street
Top 10 DVD Rentals
1. Night & Day
2. Eat, Pray, Love
3. Toy Story 3
4. The Kids Are All Right
5. Please Give
7. Coco & Igor
8. Cats & Dogs, The Revenge of Kitty Galore
9. The Expendables
10. The Extra Man